Wednesday, January 2, 2008

I RESOLVE TO...NOT TO.... YIKES CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING!!

New Year's Resolutions. Yawn!

What a mundane subject to discuss the day after the new year begins. I mean, it's all been said, resolutions fervently made, strictly adhered to for a few days, then soon forgotten. Filed away for next year.

Is there any more dull, futile, self-indulgent exercise than making New Year's Resolutions. And how depressing to usher in a promising new year by starting off renouncing all the enjoyable things.

I have no life....what can I resolve not to do? I don't drink, smoke, overeat (at least not too much.) I go to the gym, donate time/money to charity, am a decent enough mother, call my parents often...

I don't stay out late partying. I have no love life. No dark secretive activities. I couldn't even think of something to do last night "for the last time." Except I ate several cookies and thought I should resolve to eat fewer snacks. BORING!!!!

My life is devoid of any great passion, anything worth steeling myself to give up. This year I resolve--well will consider--getting back into life enough that I might even make some mistakes, get myself hurt, have something to regret.

Maybe I'll go so far as to actually date (is that what it's even called these days--do you Hook up? Meet up?) someone. It's just all so tacky and awful but I should throw myself out there and see what happens. Likely nothing but at least I could give it a try. Right?

I've spent the past few years sleepwalking through life. Things happen around me and I react. Life goes on and I am on sleep mode.

On the eve of 2009 I should like to be able to say that I lived enough, dare I say committed a few acts for which I can sit around a New Year's Eve fire and be able to coyly say "Oh, I'll never do 'fill in the blank' again." It would be kind of nice to have something to add except...... "Uh, maybe I won't drink so much diet Coke," and have everyone chuckle uncomfortably, thinking, Poor No-Life Amy.

So, let the madness begin. Maybe tonight I'll stay up past 11. It's a start, right?

2 comments:

Karen said...

Amy--If you can't think of any thing, it must mean you are in A-ok shape as it is! Vunderbar!

me, I can think of quite a few things for me personally! Perhaps I will write about them tomorrow.

Until then, hang in there sweetie!

Amy336 said...

Collapse comments

karen said...
ok, here is a resolution for you! Resolve to stay up tonite and open THE BOX! In fact, open ALL boxes this year! What have you got to lose? You survived '07. '08 is your year (heck, it has to be SOMEBODY'S year--why not yours?). Go get 'em. Start with the box. Atleast for OUR sake ;o)).

January 2, 2008 10:15 AM


kleegan said...
Thanks, Amy! I was able to use your resolution blog to entice my students to come up with resolutions. I work in a residential facility, and my kids can always use the inspiration!

Karin

January 2, 2008 11:21 AM


Betsy said...
I love this resolution...the others never last. We could all use this one...break out of our comfort zone...I think I'll try this too!!! Thanks for the insight.

January 2, 2008 11:25 AM


Duane said...
How about a good hot bath and an uninterrupted viewing of Pollyanna. Also, season 1 of 30 Rock. Oh, and a hot buttered rum. Mmmmm, so good.

oh, and I wouldn't head into a bar without understanding fully what "hook up" means. ;)

January 2, 2008 2:02 PM


amy336 said...
Good gracious! Looked it up on Wikipedia. Please ignore any references in blog entry to hooking up. I already have a resolution: don't try to be hip and use words you don't understand. Oh, and try to figure out why you've heard them from your kids.

January 2, 2008 3:45 PM