Tuesday, January 15, 2008

MOM'S FIRST POST DIVORCE DATE

I love my boys dearly but they're driving me nuts
They consider me a nuisance, a tool, and a putz

From early in the morning until deep in the night
They scream, they yell, they argue: Lord, how they fight

Battling over the computer, Xbox, and Wii
Who bought them all that stuff—you got it; it was me

He ate all my chips; drank the last diet Coke
He’s stupid; a moron; a loser; and a joke

Mom likes him better; clearly he’s her fave
Coddles him, buys him more, lets him misbehave

And the weekend sleepovers-oh God save us all
It started with one or two; now it’s an awful weekly brawl

Ordering movies on Cable; charging pizzas on my card
Begging to rent video games; did I know it’d be so hard?

The other night I got ready to go out --they took notice of me
Curling your hair? Wearing a skirt? Are those earrings I see?

Your eyelashes are dark? What’s that stuff on your face?
MOM'S GOING OUT CLUBBING, they shout, what a disgrace

Mom’s not going clubbing, I insist, as they stare dubiously
Imperiously I'm informed they expect it from Dad but not me

I can’t tell my kids about my first post divorce date; It's crazy even to me
Now I’m faced down by two children; bonded in hostility

I see how much they love me; see the fear in their eyes
I realize how I love them; they're really sweet young guys

Those moments I see that we are one and the same
For much as they push me; we're together in this game

I hug them and tell them they’re the best things in my life
Despite the arguing, expectations, the stress and the strife

The phone rings; it’s another sleepover request
Mom’s skirt and earring forgotten; they launch into a new quest

I hate him; he's stupid; it’s always your friends not mine
Mom goes out on her date knowing her boys will be just fine

7 comments:

Karen said...

Cute! Except you forgot your phone. Not cute.

Melissa said...

I like your poems a lot.

Amy336 said...

Thanks M. It's not exactly Ralph Waldo Emerson but I bet he wasn't much fun...... What should I do next? Maybe I'll write a folk song. Yes, that's it!

Anonymous said...

From Michael Scott:
I think you need an outlet for all this writing what do you want to write about? Stress during the holidays? Marketing and business opportunities for themed days? politics? You let me know if you want to write little help tip articles to help small businesses advertise. You do have a gift with words TIFN kugs and hisses...course I cannot pay you until we hit 100 thousand hits a day lol

Paris said...

I was worried from the title, but you done good, buddy boy.

You're kids are in good hands.

Anonymous said...

Awesome poem! Keep it up! :)

L.A. Saxton said...

Very nice poem. So you really LOVE your kids. And they really love you! Who would have thunk it?! :-)