Sunday, January 6, 2008

THE WRITING PROMPT FROM.....BANGLADESH?

Write about a day moon. This is our writing prompt today--our Writers' Net Group attempts to write to a daily prompt (What's this--the CMTs?) I mean, does this make sense to anyone? A day moon? I defy anyone to write anything remotely interesting about this topic.

First, I don't do sci fi so no crazy story about aliens reshuffling our intergalactic structure. No apocalyptic fantasy about a nuclear cloud interfering with the lightwaves and changing day to night, night to day.

I'm suspicious of the origin of these writing prompts. One of our fellow bloggers is doling them out. Maybe he's trying to make us go mad so he can maniacally overtake the site.

Perhaps they now outsource writing prompt calendars? Is someone in Bangladesh sitting in an impoverished office hating everyone in the US so he or she isn't even going to attempt to devise anything remotely clever. And what the freak does this person care since he or she is probably making $1 per week.

Maybe they're written freelance in India by exhausted, demoralized people whose jobs duties include things like spending three hours helping an irate person set up his new Dell printer? Or stuck in a Wal Mart customer service control center listening to someone harangue on about how her toaster burns bread even on the lowest setting.

Ok, I'll be a good sport and write to my prompt.

A man walked out his door and saw a day moon. He went back inside, lay on his couch, and vowed never to take acid again.

The End

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy,
Your writing is remarkable! You caught all of my emotions while reading. I am an off the charts analytical person who went to Catholic school for my entire education (except NYU business school) and never learned who to write creatively so I am totally impressed by your content (which we can all find pieces that relate to our own families) and style. Thanks for sharing with me and keep me posted with the updates!

Wishing a very happy 2008 to you!!!!
J

Anonymous said...

Arizona is famous for her skies; really, where the land meets the sky in a distant heat. Some days you can see forever in cloudless blue over still brown. Other days, there are graceful clouds erupting in distance sweeps of red, purple, and glowing yellow. The best days are rainy days where the rain just stops about 4 miles from you and the sun is shining over your head. Rainbows appear in the evening and the thunderheads light up in strikes while the sun blankets the sky in black and purple with arms of hot yellow spiking the heart of angry black clouds. Rain pours in great splashes on the desert just a little way off and you can hear it pounding. On these days, as the sun drops low, you might see the day moon rising over your shoulder. A great ghost late to the day capturing the last rays of the sun in red and gold face paint. In that light of the day moon, I see where I was blind.

Amy336 said...

GO MICHAEL SCOTT!!!!!! He's eclipsing us all. Duane, Karen, we have serious competition from the Holiday Guru!!!

Unknown said...

Amy, I love your blog and I love it that I know someone that actually blogs! I feel so hip now (other than that I just said "hip"). Anyway, I have you bookmarked and I'm looking forward to all of your installments. Very funny, and smart and strong.

Karen G.